Highlights of Railway Budget 2015
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu presented the Rail Budget 2015-16 in the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
The key themes of the Budget were in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiatives – Swachch Bharat Mission, Make in India and Digital India.
Highlights of The Railway Budget 2015:
- Kisan Yatra — a special travel scheme for farmers finds mention in Rail Minister Suresh Prabhu’s speech.
- Skill-development and self-employment to be encouraged on Konkan Railway mode.
- Four Railway Research Centres to start in four universities
- 100 DEMUs to be converted to dual fuels.
- Making efforts to get noise levels of locos to international standards.
- Water-recycling plants to be set up after a water audit.
- 1,000-MV solar plants to be set-up by developers on Railway Pvt. Land and on railway building at own cost.
- Yoga training will be given to railway guards.
- Monetisation of Railway resources rather than selling assets will be the focus.
- 2,000 cr for Coastal Connectivity Program; Rs.2,500 cr through BOT/Annuity route. 1,000-MW solar plant; 100 DEMUs to dual fuel.
- Process and procedures simplified to prevent delays; internal audit of systems.
- Encroachment on Railway land a serious issue, digitised mapping of land has been initiated to counter this.
- Digitised mapping of Railway land has begun to check encroachment.
- Plan size increased by 52%; 41.6% GBS; 17.8% internal generation.
- Financing Cell to be set up to increase revenue.
- Rail Minister Suresh Prabhu proposes systems audit for entire Railways in next few months.
- Decentralise, deregulate and delegate to make freight business simpler.
- JV with major public sector companies for meeting requirements of new lines.
- Will set up ‘Kayakalp’ to help in Technology Upgradation
- Framework to facilitate private investment has been readied; MUTP-III, JV with states,PSUs.
- PPP cell to be revamped to make it result-oriented & a new Model Concession Agreement will be launched.
- I propose to move from preventive to predictive maintenance of Railways.
- We intend to introduce technology portal to invite innovative technological solutions.
- Corporate safety plans; ISRO to be involved; 3,438 level crossings to be eliminated, railway expenses increased by 2,600%.
- Rail Minister Suresh Prabhu proposes PPP cooperation for end-to-end logistics management at select stations.
- Feasibility study for High Speed Rail between Mumbai and Ahmadabad is in advanced stage and is expected by mid-year
- Safety is of paramount importance.
- Studies being commissoned for high-speed trains on other routes on the diamond quadrilateral.
- Speedier Railways — 9 hi-speed corridors, high-speed trains, Make in India opportunities.
- Speed on nine railway corridors to go up to 200 km/hour.
- Speed will be increased, so Delhi-Kolkata journey can be done overnight.
- Newly manufactured coaches will be Braille-enabled and have wider entrances for differently-abled passengers.
- Private freight terminals reviewing of WLS, SFTO, PFT schemes under process; automatic freight rebate system launched and to be expanded.
- 917 road under-bridges and over-bridges to be constructed to replace 3,438 railway crossings with Rs. 6,581 crore.
- State-of-the-art perishable cargo center under completion for farmers.
- Uproar as Suresh Prabhu asks MPs to donate from MPLAD funds for improving passenger amenities.
- TRANSLOC — new PSU — end to end logistics solution.
- 1,330% increase in railway electrification over previous year.
For more updates on topics asked in CLAT, keep visiting CLAT Gurukul which is a knowledge sharing initiative of The Knowledge Tree, Patna’s premier coaching institute for CLAT and for other law entrance exams like AILET, SET, LSAT etc.